Every day we take advantage of resources from nature to meet our daily needs including fresh air, food and clean water. When we take only what we need, nature refills these resources and life becomes sustainable. However if we start using the natural resources too quickly for meeting our own economic and social needs, nature will find it difficult to replace these resources. This is why we need to ensure our day-to-day activities have minimal effect on our surrounding environment which basically means we need to develop in a sustainable way.
Sustainable development is the development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs
Benefits of sustainability
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Sustainable Developments Goals are an intergovernmental set of 17 ambitious goals with a total of 169 specific targets to be achieved by 2030, set up by United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
On September 2015, the United Nations along with the various countries adopted a set of goals to tackle poverty, protect the planet and ensure a better world for all. 17 goals were defined with clearly defined targets and action plans. Out of these 17 goals, goals 1 and 2, which are ‘Zero Poverty’ and ‘No Hunger’, are not relevant for Kuwait since it is far ahead compared to other countries. For the other 15 goals to be achieved, each one of us including governments, private companies, society and people like us should do our parts through active involvement.
Kuwait’s Minister of State for Planning Affairs and Development has plans to allocate around 5 billion Kuwaiti Dinar to support projects and help meet these goals. EQUATE Sustainability strategy 2025 is linked to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
Sustainability & Kuwait
Kuwait is heavily investing in the achieving of the 17 SDGs, these are some of the examples of what Kuwait is doing towards sustainability.
- Prepared a general, long-term strategy focusing on educational teaching for the year up to 2025.
- Focus on improving quality of education.
- Faster the use of information technology.
- Equal educational opportunity by opening special needs institute.
- Conduct all forms of research and investigations on environmental resources and issues.
- Monitor local weather conditions.
- Monitor activities related to earthquakes.
- Occupational health and safety.
- Implement proper radioactive waste management.
- Exposure and Gio-hazardous waste.
- Working on the cooperation and coordination of national efforts by promoting and launching strategies, policies, initiatives and programs to ensure community development and participation of young people.
- Protection of the marine and terrestrial environment.
- Hazardous wastes management.
- Air pollution.
- Setup departments to monitor marine life, wildlife and natural reserves.
Sustainability & EQUATE
EQUATE executed many programs that contribute to the subject of sustainability. Examples to those programs are the following:
- Waste Free Environment
- EPA New Law Awareness
HEALTH & SAFETY
- EH&S Programs and Policies
- Home Safety: Stay Safe
- HR Employee development and training programs
- Plastic Awareness
- Scholarship (PDP)
- Kuwait University Labs
- Stay Normal 1 & 2
- Painting Smiles
- Oil & gas Forum
- GPCA Conference
Sustainability Strategy 2025
EQUATE Management approved the EQUATE sustainability Strategy 2025 that was developed by the EQUATE Sustainability Committee. This 10 year strategy comprises of 16 strategic initiatives that EQUATE aims to achieve by the year 2025.
1. Governance Structure and Process
2. External stakeholder engagement plan
3. Sustainable procurement
4. Tax saving opportunities
5. Employee engagement to develop capacity
6. Sustainability management program
7. Innovation Process
8. Renewable energy strategy
9. Digital sustainability strategy
10. Circular economy initiative
11. Sustainability impact assessment process
12. Transition plan towards integrated reporting
13. GHG accounting
14. Need-based community investment and SME development
15. Advocacy through multi-stakeholder dialogue in Kuwait
16. Drive sustainability among peers through GPCA
How can you get involved?
As an EQUATER, you can also contribute towards the sustainable development of our company by participating in and supporting numerous initiatives addressing different environmental and social issues such as energy saving initiatives, waste reduction initiatives, water conservation initiatives, health & safety initiatives, and community health initiatives among others, which are undertaken throughout the year.
- Donate generously to charitable activities as it helps to improve the lives of the poor.
- You are encouraged to participate in EQUATE’s community related initiative.
- EQUATE routinely organizes community out reach programs.
- You can make a positive difference in the local community by extending a helping hand at outreach programs.
- It is EQUATE’s policy to not tolerate any kind of discrimination at out offices.
- As employee of EQUATE, please make sure that you respect diversity both among your colleagues and within the community.
- Always follow standard health and safety practices both at work and outside.
- Get involved with EQUATE Health and Safety at home programs.
- 45% of organic waste is from food. Be sure to consume food before its expiry date to avoid accumulation of waste.
- Turn of the tap while brushing.
You can save 6 to 12 liters of water per brushing.
- Replace old lightbulbs with LED lamps at your homes.
LED bulbs provide more lighting will less energy. They also last at least 10 times longer when compared to normal lightbulbs.
- Utilize both sides of paper while taking notes and printing.